January 11, 2022
Resignation of entire Disabled Drivers Medical Scheme Appeals Board ‘gravely concerning’ – Violet-Anne Wynne TD

Sinn Féin TD for Clare, Violet-Anne Wynne has expressed grave concern at news that the entire Disabled Drivers Medical Scheme Appeals Board has resigned after expressing concerns that the criteria for obtaining a Primary Medical Cert is too stringent.

Teachta Wynne said:

“Many disabled people are effectively being denied the ability to travel due to the stringent criteria for obtaining a Primary Medical Certificate. Also, backlog and delays in the processing of primary medical certs have created further delays.

“This is denying disabled people their rights under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) to live fully independent lives.

“An immediate review of this scheme and the criteria it sets needs to take place; with input from Disabled Persons Organisations and other relevant stakeholders taken on board. This must include detailed actions to widen eligibility to the scheme and improve its administration.

“Disabled people should have the ability to travel. Lack of transport can be devastating for people’s ability to work, to socialise and to complete everyday tasks which enable them to live full and independent lives. The impact that loss of transport has on disabled people’s lives is difficult to overstate and carries a huge practical and emotional toll. The government must recognise this, listen to disabled people and prioritise this issue.

“That the criteria for obtaining a Primary Medical Certificate was overly stringent was, in effect, confirmed by the Supreme Court ruling in June 2020 which overturned the Board’s decision to deny two families a Primary Medical Certificate. 

“This ruling led to the suspension of the scheme which was only reopened in January 2021 after an amendment to the Finance Bill.

“This was supposed to be an interim measure and a review of the scheme was promised by the Minister for Finance in September 2021 to be carried out by his Department whose remit it comes under, but this was never delivered. 

“The Department of Finance statement reported by RTÉ News today instead stated that ‘a working group – led by the Department of Children, Equality, and Disability – will review the Disabled Drivers and Passengers Scheme’.

“This only confirms that the Minister for Finance and his Department has not carried out the review he had committed to 5 months ago, 18 months after the Supreme Court ruling requested it. 

“Ombudsman report ‘Grounded’ published at the end of last year, highlighted how inadequate supports are to protect the right of Disabled People to transport, both publicly and privately. It in an indictment on the state that not more has been done to rectify these human rights issues. 

“An immediate review of this scheme and the criteria it sets out needs to take place with input from Disabled Persons Organisations and other relevant stakeholders taken on board and must include detailed actions to widen eligibility to the scheme and improve its administration.” 

Follow us online

Latest Tweets

Sinn Féin MP John Finucane has said the announcement of £36 million funding will help continue to develop local football.

@johnfinucane

https://vote.sinnfein.ie/funding-for-local-football-clubs-a-positive-step-finucane/

Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael have voted AGAINST Sinn Féin's plan to deliver Affordable Housing. ❌

These parties created the affordable housing crisis and they cannot fix it. We need a change of government and a change in housing policy.

On June 7th - Vótáil Sinn Féin! #LE24 #EE24

"It's the most damning critique of successive Government's failures in housing that I've ever read" – @EOBroin

Sinn Féin will fix the housing crisis with the biggest social & affordable building programme in the history of the State. Homes will be affordable for ordinary people

Load More