June 15, 2020
Mallaghan welcomes assurance on 2021 Gaeltacht scheme

Sinn Féin Councillor Cathal Mallaghan has welcomed confirmation that everyone who has registered an interest in the Mid Ulster Council’s Gaeltacht Scholarship Scheme for 2020 will be considered for summer 2021.

The decision was taken by the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht to cancel all Summer Gaeltacht courses in light of the health restrictions due to Covid-19 in April.

The Chairperson of Mid Ulster Council said:

“Following restrictions that prevented students from attending Gaeltacht colleges this year, I made a request to the Council to ensure that every young person who planned to attend to get that opportunity next year.

“This has resulted in the money being set aside for bursaries and following the recent development committee a recommendation will go to council at the end of the month where those applicants will be surveyed to see if they wish to take up that opportunity.

“Every young person should have the opportunity to attend a summer Gaeltacht course and we all must do our part to support the survival of the Summer Colleges.

“No young person who had applied through Mid-Ulster Council will lose the opportunity to attend a Gaeltacht Summer College.

“The Gaeltacht regions are amazing for our young people to immerse themselves in our language and culture.

“We look forward to our young people returning to Summer Courses when it is safe to do so.”

Follow us online

Latest Tweets

Transparency & accountability crucial to restore confidence at University of Limerick – @QuinlivanTD

Teachta Quinlivan's comments come following reports the Garda Economic Crime Bureau is examining issues relating to a controversial housing deal at UL.

It is essential that a State apology is now made to the families of the Stardust tragedy.

@MaryLouMcDonald has said that the apology must address the failures of governments, not just 43 years ago in the aftermath of this tragedy, but every day since then.

#JFT48

Following a meeting with the families of the Stardust tragedy this morning, @MaryLouMcDonald has said that "a full state apology to the families must be made now, and it must address the systematic failure over 43 years".

MORE: https://vote.sinnfein.ie/a-full-state-apology-to-stardust-families-must-address-systematic-failure-over-43-years-mary-lou-mcdonald/

ICOB in danger of being becoming another failed government business support scheme – @loreillysf

“It's essential that the May 1st deadline for registrations is extended, and that government & local authorities engage with SME's to encourage take-up."

Load More