December 21, 2023
Hazzard welcomes confirmation that flood funding will be flexible to meet needs of excluded businesses

Sinn Féin’s Chris Hazzard MP has received confirmation that businesses previously excluded from flood support will be eligible to apply in the next phase of funding.

Speaking after meeting Stormont officials today who confirmed the next phase of funding will include up to £100,000 per business affected in last month’s floods, the South Down MP said:

Mr Hazzard said:

“I welcome confirmation that the next phase of funding to support businesses impacted by flooding will be flexible and open to many businesses who were previously excluded.

“Over recent weeks, I have been working with businesses and officials to find a solution which ensures they receive support, and it’s positive now that progress has been made.

“This will hopefully bring relief to many local businesses who have been struggling to recover from last month’s devastating floods, particularly as we approach Christmas. 

“It’s expected that the scheme will be open for applications on 8 January, and I would urge businesses to apply.

“I have also asked that as this scheme is rolled out in the new year, those residents whose homes have been destroyed are not left behind and additional financial support is made available as soon as possible.”