April 1, 2021
Bus and coach sector shocked by £1.5m underspend – Kimmins

Sinn Féin MLA Liz Kimmins has said the fact the Department for Infrastructure did not spend £1.5 million from the Bus and Coach Scheme will come as a shock to those in the bus and coach sector who have been calling out for support. 

The Newry and Armagh MLA said: 

“After writing to the Minister for Infrastructure Nichola Mallon, it has been revealed that £1.5million from the Bus and Coach scheme has not been spent. 

“This will come as a shock to those in the bus and coach sector who have been continually calling for support from the Department during COVID. 

“Many in the sector claimed the scheme had been difficult to access. 

“This is evidenced in the fact that only half of the sector were judged by the Department to be eligible for the Bus and Coach Scheme.

“Claims from the Department that some businesses were ineligible due to still being ‘profitmaking’ do not add up from the feedback from the sector that most operators haven’t turned a wheel all year round.

“It’s clear that lessons need to be learned from the previous schemes in order to properly help this sector get on solid footing coming out of COVID.”

Follow us online

Latest Tweets

Polls are now closed. 

Thanks to everyone who voted Sinn Féin today. 

Thanks to our Sinn Féin candidates, their families and their campaign teams, all of whom ran an incredible campaign for change.

Tosaíonn Athrú Anseo. Change starts here!

🚨Polls open until 10pm! Make sure you come out and vote Sinn Féin.

Vote for change.

Change starts here! 🗳️

#useyourvote #elections2024

If you want CHANGE, vote Sinn Féin today in the local and European elections in the South.

Our candidates will stand up for workers and families, and are committed to building a brighter, better future for all.

Load More